- Chief's Message
- Mission Statement
- Table of Organization
- Patrol Division
- Support Services Division
- Detective Bureau
- Records Bureau
- Community Services Bureau
- Nixle Notification
- Crime Prevention Tips
- Domestic Violence
- Traffic Safety
- Child Passenger Safety
- Junior Police Academy
- School Resource Officer Duda
- School Resource Officer Longo
- Animal Control Officer
- Internal Affairs
- Department History
- Handicapped Placards
- Online Forms
- Firearms Applications
- Megan's Law
- Contact Us
he Denville Police Department was officially created on September 2, 1936. Prior to this time, the protection of life and property and the function of preserving the peace in Denville Township were delegated to Special Officers appointed by the Township Committee. The most notable of these Special Officers was Benjamin Kinsey, who served as both the Fire Chief and Police Chief from 1928 to 1935 (Kinsey Place was named in honor of him).
In 1936, the Denville Police Department was established by an Ordinance passed by the Township Committee. Harry Jenkins was appointed Chief of Police and Arthur Strathman was appointed as a Patrolman.
During the 1930's and 1940's, there was no actual "Police Station". Chief Jenkins worked out of his residence on Myers Avenue. Calls to the Denville Police were then answered by either Chief Jenkins or his wife Pauline.
In the early 1950's, space was found in the back of the first floor of the Main Street Fire House (presently a Professional Building, 95 East Main Street) to house the Officers.
In the early 1960's, the Department was moved into a converted two bay ambulance garage at the back of the then Main Street Fire House. For the first time, the Department had office space, a locker room and holding cells. Prior to this, any prisoners from Denville were held in the Dover Police Department's holding cells.
Chief Harry Jenkins retired in 1962, after 26 years of faithful service to the Township of Denville. Chief Donald J. King was selected to replace him. Chief King served in this capacity until 1980. During his tenure, the department grew from 13 sworn Officers to 30 sworn Officers and 3 civilian employees.
By then, the Department was bursting at the seams in its "Old Headquarters". After years of planning, a new police headquarters was built adjoining the present Municipal Complex on Saint Mary's Place. The building and property had originally been Saint Mary's School number two.
Chief Anthony P. Strungis, Jr. oversaw the planning, building and transition into the new facilities during his short tenure. When Chief Strungis retired in 1983, Chief Howard C. Shaw took charge.
During the years that Howard Shaw was Chief, the department came into the computer age. This now allows all reports and pertinent records to be stored and accessed by computer.
Chief Shaw retired in 1995 and Chief Steven C. Boepple was appointed to command the Department. In the year 2000, the number of full-time department personnel was 31 sworn Officers, 4 dispatchers, 1 parking enforcement officer, and 3 clerical/secretarial civilian employees.
Since 1995, the Department has seen modernization and change in various areas. Patrol Cars are now equipped with in-car computers. Headquarters has been upgraded with a new communications center and lobby area. The Department Rules, Regulations, and Policies have been replaced with a new system based on national standards. The Community Policing Bureau was established to better address the changing safety and enforcement concerns of our citizens and businesses. The Traffic Bureau has been expanded to meet the increased traffic problems of the Township. A strong emphasis on training and keeping high ethical and professional standards has been a major priority.
Chief Boepple retired in 2004 and Lt. Anthony Strungis, III was appointed as the new Chief of Police. Under Chief Strungis, the department continued to grow and adapt to changing police needs. In 2005, the Community Policing and Traffic Bureaus were merged to make better use of both units' resources and the department's first "Bicycle Unit" was created.
Lt. Christopher Wagner was appointed as the new Chief of Police in 2007 with the retirement of Chief Strungis. Chief Wagner is looking forward to continuing the long standing traditions of the department, as well as incorporating new ideas that will help the department meet and exceed all future expectations.
The members of the Denville Township Police Department are proud of its 65-year history and the 94 men and women (to date) who have worn the Denville Blue. The Denville Police are determined to continue to live up to the highest standards of law enforcement professionalism.
Lt. Richard McConnell (Ret.), who contributed this article.
A chronological list of all of the men and women who have served on the Denville Police Department.
Harry Jenkins: 1936-1952