The Denville Township Police Department is actively seeking professional, qualified and energetic applicants who possess the department’s core values of honesty, integrity, fairness, compassion, and respect for the position of Police Officer. Applications are being accepted from PTC certified (successfully completed the Basic Course for Police Officers at a NJ Police Academy) and non-PTC certified applicants.
- Applicants must not be less than 18 years old nor more than 35 years old at time of appointment (age restrictions shall not conflict with the current state and federal law).
- Applicants must be of sound body, good moral character, and in good health sufficient to satisfy the board of trustees of the Police and Firemen’s Retirement System (PFRS) of New Jersey as to the eligibility for membership in the retirement system.
- Applicants must possess a minimum of 60 college credits from an accredited college or university, with preference provided to applicants who have B.A./B.S. degree (military service cannot be substituted for college credits).
- Applicants must be a citizen of the United States and a legal resident of the State of New Jersey at time of appointment.
- Applicants must possess a valid New Jersey Driver’s License at time of appointment.
- Applicants must not have been convicted of any crime of the first, second, third or fourth degree, as designated by the Criminal Code of New Jersey, or a crime or felony offense in any other jurisdiction that involved moral turpitude, or is undergoing or awaiting court action of any kind in regard to such a crime or felony offense at the time of application.
- Applicants must successfully complete a physical agility test.
- Applicants must successfully complete a written test (PTC certified applicants are exempt from having to complete the written test).
- Applicants must successfully complete a series of oral interviews and pass a comprehensive background investigation.
Police Officers in Denville are entitled to a competitive starting salary of $45,675, with a top pay of $125,799 after 9 years of service. Other benefits include health insurance, enrollment into the Police and Firemen’s Retirement System, and a tuition reimbursement program aimed at the professional development of our employees. Assignment opportunities available during your career include patrol officer, community services officer, traffic officer, school resource officer, detective, and other specialized assignments such as the Morris County Sheriff’s Emergency Response Team or a police academy instructor. These benefits are in addition to working for one of the most progressive law enforcement agencies in the State of New Jersey.
Applicants must complete the Police Officer Initial Application on the PoliceApp website (www.policeapp.com) no later than 11:59 pm on Friday, June 23, 2023. There is a $100 non-refundable fee to complete the application process on-line.
The Township of Denville is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants shall be given full consideration.
Part-time Communications Officer
The Denville Township Police Department is currently seeking qualified individuals for the position of part-time communications officer. Prior experience as a public safety communications officer is preferred, but is not required. Applicants must be willing to work 12-hour shifts, nights, weekends and holidays. Responsibilities include receiving emergency (9-1-1) and non-emergency calls for police/fire/medical assistance, process/record/refer vital information to the appropriate services while dispatching and managing police/fire/EMS radio transmissions, generating/conducting/maintaining computer entries and searches in several public safety computer databases, and other various job-associated tasks.
Part-Time Communications Officers with the Denville Township Police Department receive a competitive pay rate staring at $20.50 per hour and receive critical first-hand experience that could further a career in either public safety communications or law enforcement.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen;
- Applicants must be a New Jersey resident;
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age;
- Applicants must have a High School Diploma/GED;
- Applicants must not have been convicted of a crime;
- Applicants must pass an interview process, drug test, and background investigation;
- Applicants must have 9-1-1 Telecommunicator Training certification (40-hour course of training) or successfully complete the training prior to appointment;
- Accepted applicants must successfully complete an unpaid internship-training program before appointment.
Application Deadline/Contact Information
Completed applications (click HERE to download) must be received no later than June 30, 2023. Applications should be mailed to or dropped off in person at Denville Police Headquarters (1 St. Mary's Place, Denville, NJ 07834) to the attention of Lt. Scott Revis.
Please direct any questions regarding this position to Lt. Scott Revis at 973-627-4900 x 372 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.