All firearms applications for residents of Denville Township are processed through the Police Department’s Records Bureau. The application process for new Firearms Identification Cards, duplicate Firearms Identification Cards (lost/stolen, mutilated, change of address, change of sex or change of name) and Permits to Purchase a Handgun are completed electronically through the online Firearms Reporting System (FARS). Please follow the below instructions to utilize the Firearms Reporting System (FARS) to submit your application. If you have any questions or need any assistance, please contact:
- phone: 973-627-4900 x 301
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants (ID Cards and Purchase Permits)
Step 1: Go to the FARS website at https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
Step 2: When prompted, you must enter the Denville Police Department’s ORI #, exactly as follows: NJ0140800
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. When completing the application, you must utilize your “official name” and cannot utilize simplified versions of your names, such as “Joe” for “Joseph”. You will also need the e-mail addresses of two reputable references. Your references may be family members. Upon reaching the “Review” section, please proofread the application and ensure there are no errors. Any errors in the information entered may result in a delay in your background investigation and issuance of your Firearms ID Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun. Please print a copy of the confirmation page for your own records after the application is electronically submitted.
- An applicant applying for their initial Firearms Identification Card will need to print out their FINGERPRINT FORM at the end of the application and follow the directions in order to be fingerprinted. Being fingerprinted is a required part of the application process. Any delay in being fingerprinted will result in a delay in the completion of your background investigation and the issuance of your Firearms Identification Card.
- If you have resided outside of NJ within the last 10 years, you must also complete a Consent for Mental Health Records Search [sp-66] Form. Once completed, this form must be forwarded to the Records Bureau by e-mail (email@example.com), regular mail (Denville Police Department, Attn Records Bureau, 1 St. Mary’s Place, Denville, NJ 07834) or dropped off in person at police headquarters.
Additional Notes Regarding the FARS Application Process:
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and e-mail addresses for yourself and your references. Any errors may result in a delay in the completion of the background investigation and the subsequent issuance of your Firearms ID Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun. In addition, although submission of your social security number is not mandatory, the application process may also be delayed if not provided.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions as soon as possible so your background investigation may be completed without delay.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the application process.
- When deciding how many permits you would like to get, remember:
a. ONE Permit is required for EACH handgun you wish to purchase (there is a $25.00 fee per permit)
b. You can only purchase 1 handgun in a 30 day period
c. Permits are good for up to 180 days (permits are valid for 90 days, but may be renewed one time for an additional 90 days)
d. If you decide you want an additional handgun permit(s) after the initial application, you will have to reapply and start a new application process for the additional permit(s).
Step 4: Once your Firearms ID Card and/or Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun is ready to be issued, you will be contacted by the Records Bureau (do not respond to the Records Bureau if you have only received the confirmation e-mail from the FARS system, you must also be contacted by a member of the Records Bureau advising you the documents are ready). You will then need to respond to the Records Bureau and submit payment for your Firearms ID Card and/or permits. Permits to Purchase a Handgun are $25.00 per permit and Firearms ID Cards are $50.00 (there is no fee for duplicate Firearms Identification Cards).
OTHER FIREARMS FORMS
CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY
The State of New Jersey Certificate of Eligibility [S.P. 634] Form must be completed for each transfer of ownership of a shotgun or rifle (including black powder or BB rifle). Two original copies should be completed with the transferor and receiver each retaining a copy.
VOLUNTARY FIREARMS REGISTRATION
The State of New Jersey Voluntary Form of Firearms Registration Form [S.P. 650I] should be completed if you wish to voluntarily register your firearm with the State of New Jersey. Three original copies should be completed.
- One copy is to be mailed to: Superintendent of State Police, Box 7068 - Data Reduction Unit, P.O. Box 7068, West Trenton, N.J. 08628-0068
- A second copy should be mailed to: Chief of Police, Denville Township Police Department, 1 St. Mary's Place, Denville, N.J. 07834
- The last copy should be retained for your records.
|Voluntary Firearms Registration Form - Fillable (Not Compatible with Microsoft Edge Browser)|
|Voluntary Firearms Registration Form - Not Fillable (Must be printed and completed by hand)|
MULTIPLE HANDGUN PURCHASE EXEMPTION
Applicants expressing a desire to apply for an exemption to the "one Handgun every thirty days" law can submit an Application for Multiple Handgun Purchase Exemption Form along with an Application for Multiple Handgun Purchase Exemption Seller/Transferor Certification Form to our department. Applicant is to provide any documentation, if applicable, in support of the exemption request. Our department will retain the requisite number of approved and valid permits as requested until such time as the completed and approved (or denied) application for exemption is received from the state.
On return of an approved (or denied) exemption application, our department will provide a copy of the application form to the applicant, and return to him/her all permits to purchase a handgun previously retained by our department.
PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN
|Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun [SP-646]|
|Consent for Mental Health Records Search [SP-066]|
Applications for a Permit to Carry a Handgun must be made in-person with the Records Bureau and cannot be applied for through the FARS system. In order to process your application for a Permit to Carry a Handgun, the following items must be submitted to our department:
- Driver's License and Birth Certificate OR Driver's License and Passport OR Driver's License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card
- One (1) State of New Jersey Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun [Form SP-642]. Must be double sided and notarized.
- Two (2) color passport size photographs (1.5" x 1.5") of applicant. Photo must be of head and shoulders, no hat, light colored background, and taken within the last thirty (30) days.
- Consent for Mental Health Records Search [SP-066].
- Written proof of ownership of the handgun(s) you intend on carrying. Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt, purchase permit, or a notarized letter of ownership listing make, model, caliber AND serial number of the handgun(s).
- Written proof of qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying. Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include the Instructor's Name and Certification; and the make, model, caliber AND serial number of the handgun(s) you intend to carry.
The required written firearms qualification, in accordance with N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B), is available at https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/shooting-ranges.shtml.
- Certified check or money order for $50.00, payable to "New Jersey State Police".
- Check or cash for $150.00, payable to "Township of Denville".
Upon submission of the above items, the Records Bureau will provide you with a form in order to make arrangements with IdentoGo to have your fingerprints taken.
If you have any questions regarding this process or the required items to submit, please contact Records Clerk Adam Manger (973-627-4900 x 301; firstname.lastname@example.org) or Records Clerk Amy Laudati (973-627-4900 x 305; email@example.com).